We are ready to help you connect to an existing water or wastewater main or to expand service into a new area. 


Covid-19 Updates

  • We Are Ready To Serve You - Based on the Order by the City of Austin and Travis County to “Stay Home, Work Safe”, we have suspended all in-person customer services at both our Waller Creek and One Texas Center facilities. Most of our services are available by email, the Austin Build + Connect portal, and our website. We are working on remote access to our phone system, and an email to AWTaps@austintexas.gov will provide a faster response than leaving a voicemail at (512) 972-0000.


Service connections include new water/wastewater taps, water meter upgrades, well and septic cutovers, truck and fire hydrant meters, water and wastewater tap receipts, and current tap locations.

A tap, simply put, is a literal tap on the main. This main could be either a water or wastewater main which are maintained by Austin Water. Each property that is served or wants to be served has a tap to the property. The Taps Office processes this permit for both residential and commercial customers.

In order to tap the main, upgrade an existing tap, upgrade a meter, cutover from well or septic tank the Taps Office requires a Tap Application to be filed. There is not an application fee, however, several items are needed in order to process the application. These requirements are different for both residential and commercial.

Domestic, Reclaimed and Irrigation Meters
Temporary Meters


      General Information


      Taps Program Contact Information

      • Waller Creek Center: 625 E 10th St, Suite 200 Austin, Texas 78701
      • One Texas Center: 505 Barton Springs Rd, Development Assistance Center 1st floor

      To reach the Taps Office by phone, call 512-972-0000.

      • Stay on the line for English, press 2 for Spanish
      • For Truck or Hydrant Meters press 4 
      • For dillo dirt, discharge tickets, and/or manifest books press 8
      • For a Taps Representative  press 5

      Covid-19 Updates

      • While Austin Water staff is temporarily teleworking due to the COVID-19 outbreak, please submit all Service Extension Request (SER) applications and associated backup materials electronically to SER@austintexas.gov for screening and invoice generation. An invoice will be generated and then a payment can be made over the phone at 512-972-0009.


      A Service Extension Request is a request by a landowner to extend City water or wastewater utility service to a tract of land, and is used by landowners as a basis to identify required infrastructure improvements and to determine a preliminary estimate of the cost of infrastructure for proposed development.

      The Service Extension Request Program exists to ensure that water and wastewater systems have adequate capacity to handle new developments (individual, subdivision, multi-family, or commercial) and that proposed extensions meet City and Austin Water infrastructure planning goals.


      A fee is charged for the review of a Service Extension Request and is collected when a Service Extension Request application is submitted. Additional fees may be required depending on specific aspects of a Service Extension Request application or when City development permits have expired and are being reactivated or renewed. For a list of our fees, please see our fee schedule.


      Provisions of Chapter 25-9 of the City Code address service extension requests and the City's cost participation of eligible water and wastewater infrastructure.

      Service Letter Request

      Service Availability Letters are provided to verify that the tract of land is in the Austin Water service area.


      To initiate Austin Water technical review of a Service Extension Request, please submit the following form:

      Service Extension Request Application Form: Adobe PDF | Microsoft Word


      All applicants for a service extension request are encouraged to use minority and women-owned business enterprises (M/WBE) in the design and construction of water and wastewater infrastructure and related facilities.  Further information about the City’s M/WBE ordinance, see:  Austin City Code, Chapters 2-9A, 2-9B, 2-9C, and 2-9D or visit the SMBR website.

      In some cases, a landowner’s request to extend City water or wastewater utility service to a property must also include the landowner’s request for full purpose annexation by the City.  The annexation request form is required with a Service Extension Request application for properties located outside the City's full purpose jurisdiction and not within the Austin Water State certificated service area. A request for annexation does not commit the City to annex or to annex the property within any specific time frame.

      Annexation Request Form: Adobe PDF | Microsoft Word

      To verify that your SER application is complete, please use the following checklist: 

      Submittal Checklist For Service Extension Request Applications: Adobe PDF


      Service Extension Request Program Contact Information 

      • Email: ser@austintexas.gov
      • Fax: 512-972-0251
      • Mailing/Physical Address: 625 E 10th Street, Suite 715, Austin, TX 78701