What is Leave No Trace?
Leave No Trace is the most widely accepted outdoor ethics program used on public lands. The Austin Parks and Recreation Department, Austin Resource Recovery, and Watershed Protection have partnered to raise awareness about Leave No Trace in Austin.
As Austin's population continues to soar, each of us can help ensure that our city's parks, trails, and open spaces are protected and enjoyed for generations to come by practicing Leave No Trace.
The Leave No Trace Seven Principles
You can practice Leave No Trace by following the Seven Principles each time you head outdoors. They provide guidance to enjoy our natural world in a sustainable way that avoids human-created impacts.
1. Plan Ahead and Prepare
2. Travel on Durable Surfaces
3. Dispose of Waste Properly
4. Leave What You Find
5. Be Careful with Fire
6. Respect Wildlife
Give them space
Keep pets under control
7. Be Considerate of Other Visitors
Help Spread the Word
Here are just a few ways that you can help spread the word about Leave No Trace:
1. Practice the Leave No Trace Seven Principles
Each of us can minimize our impact with the Leave No Trace Seven Principles.
2. Share on social media
Use our Leave No Trace graphics and posts to show your support for Leave No Trace in Austin:
- Leave No Trace is all about minimizing your impact. You can preserve Austin's natural spaces by practicing the 7 each time you head outdoors. Learn more at austintexas.gov/leave-no-trace. #LeaveNoTrace #LeaveNoTraceATX #EnjoyYourWorld
- Headed outdoors this weekend? Be sure to Plan Ahead and Prepare by reading up on your destination and packing right so you can Leave No Trace in Austin's natural spaces. #LeaveNoTrace #LeaveNoTraceATX #EnjoyYourWorld
- Preserve Austin's natural spaces by practicing the Leave No Trace 7 Principles each time you head outdoors. #LeaveNoTrace #LeaveNoTraceATX
- Minimize your impact on Austin by practicing Leave No Trace. Learn more at austintexas.gov/leavenotrace. #LeaveNoTraceATX
3. Teach kids about Leave No Trace
Bring your kids to our Park Ranger Leave No Trace Events. Find our Park Rangers' latest events on Facebook at facebook.com/atxparkrangers.
4. Visit the Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics
The Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics has a wealth of information and resources on how you can Leave No Trace.
© 1999 by the Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics: www.LNT.org