If you meet certain criteria you may be eligible to have records of an arrest or citation removed from your criminal history. The Austin Municipal Court can only expunge Class C (fine-only) misdemeanors from Travis County.
1. Determine eligibility.
You may be entitled to have the records and files relating to your case expunged if either of the following is true:
- You were declared not guilty and/or acquitted after a trial.
- Your case was dismissed over 180 days prior.
If you were a juvenile or a minor at the time of the offense, please see the page for getting non-adult criminal records expunged.
2. Determine which law enforcement agencies have records or files subject to expunction.
The form contains a list of local agencies, but there may be others. You must provide the agency’s name and the complete mailing address.
3. Fill out the petition for expunction of criminal records (PDF, 365 KB)
You may only include one arrest event per expunction petition. Make sure that you include:
- All of your personal information and any aliases that you are aware of
- All information about your arrest (may be a non-custodial arrest a.k.a “a ticket”) such as:
- Date of arrest
- Arresting agency
- Home address at time of arrest
- Location of arrest
- All information about the charges arising from the arrest, including:
- The Court involved
- Case number
- Disposition of the charge(s)
- A copy of the final disposition showing the dismissal or acquittal
4. Submit the petition.
- By e-mail
- By mail
Municipal Court, P.O. Box 2135, Austin, TX 78768
- In person
You may submit your petition in-person at one of these two courthouse locations.
6800 Burleson Road, Building 310, Suite 175 Austin, TX 78744
12425 Lamplight Village Ave., Austin, TX 78758
5. Pay the $100 fee.
There is no expunction filing fee if you file within 30 days of a finding of Not Guilty.
3-5 business days after submitting your petition, search for your case in the online portal to pay related fees.
- By phone
- By mail
Mail a check or money order to Municipal Court, P.O. Box 2135 Austin, TX 78768.
If you are not mailing the payment along with the petition, include your case number (found through the case portal) and contact information in your correspondence.
Do not send cash or credit card information in the mail.
- In person
You may pay the fee in person at one of these two courthouse locations.
6800 Burleson Rd, Bldg 310, Suite 175 Austin, TX 78744
12425 Lamplight Village Ave, Austin, TX 78758
6. Upon receipt of payment, a hearing will be scheduled for you.
At the hearing, the judge will rule on the expunction petition. You may attend the hearing, but it is not required.