Working Together to Make Homelessness Rare, Brief and Nonrecurring
Looking to help end the experience and impact of homelessness in our community? We're here to help you do just that.
Week of Action to Address Homelessness 2021
The 2021 Week of Action is coming soon! Save the dates, start planning with your team, and check back here for an updated toolkit to take action.
Homelessness in Austin 2020 Panel Series
This National Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week, the City of Austin hosted a series of conversations about what’s happening in Austin to make homelessness rare, brief, and nonrecurring. Featuring leaders from local homeless-serving organizations, each conversation is available for viewing below.
Homelessness in Austin: Understanding the Crisis and How We Got Here
Noon – 1pm on Monday, November 16, 2020
Homelessness is a systemic problem that touches every major city in Texas. Homelessness can stem from both institutional deficiencies and adverse life events such as a health issue, the loss of a job, or the need to escape domestic violence. Learn more about homelessness and what it looks like in Austin, the systemic and individual factors that lead to homelessness, and the unique challenges facing our community.
- Susan McDowell, Executive Director, LifeWorks
- Michelle Myles, Acting Program Manager, Homeless Services Division, Austin Public Health
- Ellen Richards, Chief Strategy Officer, Integral Care
- Julia Spann, Co-CEO, SAFE
Moderated by Kathryn Flowers, Program Administrator, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Dell Medical School, Voices from the Street
Homelessness in Austin: What’s Happening - Programs in Action
Noon – 1pm on Wednesday, November 18, 2020
Everyday, committed individuals and organizations are doing work to address homelessness in Austin. This ranges from addressing the needs of those experiencing chronic homelessness to preventing people from entering homelessness. Learn more about homeless-serving organizations, their programs, and the impact already felt in our community.
- Bree Williams, Director of Director of Community Housing, ECHO
- Amanda Rohlich, Business Process Consultant Sr., Food Policy Advisor, Office of Sustainability, City of Austin
- Chris Baker, Executive Director, The Other Ones Foundation
- Patricia Barrera, Business Process Consultant Senior, Homeless Outreach Street Team
Moderated by Judy Maggio, Host, ATX Together at Austin PBS
Homelessness in Austin: Innovations and What’s on the Horizon
Noon – 1pm on Friday, November 20, 2020
Homelessness is a complex problem with numerous agencies and nonprofits working to tackle the root causes and meet people where they are. While there may not be a universal remedy for homelessness in every community, technology and innovation can help fill in the gaps. Learn about plans in motion, innovations in testing, and new approaches to addressing homelessness in our community.
- Tish Moczygemba, Associate Professor, Lonnie F. Hollingsworth, Sr. Centennial Fellow, Health Outcomes Division, The University of Texas College of Pharmacy
- Mark Janchar, User Researcher, Office of Design and Delivery, City of Austin
- Alan Graham, Founder and CEO, Mobile Loaves and Fishes
- Shontell Gauthier, Director of Money Management Services, Family Eldercare
Moderated by Taylor Cook, Design Project Manager, Design Institute for Health
This Holiday Season visit the How to Help Austin page through GivePulse for opportunities to help organizations throughout Central Texas
Connect with Neighbors Experiencing Homelessness
Humanize Austin's mission is to leverage technology to educate the public about the causes of homelessness, while connecting people experiencing homeless with potential employers, resources and donors. Hear stories and learn how you can help at humanizeaustin.com.
Week of Action to Support Ending Homelessness
In 2020 the City of Austin joined partner agencies and community organizations to engage Austinites in taking actions to help make homelessness rare, brief, and nonrecurring. Every specific action looked different, but centered around daily themes learning, creating, sharing, calling, giving and thanking.
You can take meaningful action any day of the year; here are some suggestions:
- Learn more about homelessness in Austin and what's happening to address it.
- Connect with and support one of the many great organizations operating in Austin.
- Reach out to your elected leaders to make sure they know they support the policies and investments that will end homelessness in our community.
- Show kindness and compassion to those experiencing homelessness among us; it isn’t always easy, but it does more to make progress than the alternative.
Check back here for more opportunities to get involved with efforts to help people in our city.