Lake Walter E. Long is located in Walter E. Long Metropolitan Park at 6614 Blue Bluff Road. The 1,200 acre lake features open spaces for boating, jet skis, swimming, two sand volleyball courts, picnic sites, tables, grills, walking, running, biking and restrooms available throughout the park.
VEHICLE entry passes online resume October 16 to aid customers with planning their visit to the park.
Park Entry Booth Hours
8am – 4pm Monday through Sunday* 2nd week of September - end of April
8am - 7pm Friday through Sunday* May through the 1st week of September
*Hours are dependent on availability of staffing.
- Park Entry Single and Multi-Day Passes/Fees
Park Entry Single Day Passes for Single Day Use
Seasonal Online Pass Information: Passes available 14 days in advance, and no less than midnight the night before. Passes are emailed and should be printed or displayed on a mobile device. Once at capacity – no additional queuing to get into the park will be allowed. Limit 2 per day/household. Passes also required Memorial & Labor Day Mondays, and 4th of July. Persons who do NOT have a computer, may call for assistance during normal office hours 512-974-6797. (NOTE - Currently the city is working under modified operations due to COVID19. Please call, leave a message for assistance.)
- March 12 – October 31
- Monday - Thursday: Vehicle & hike/bike-in entry pay in person at pay station (coin/credit only)
- Friday – Sunday: Must be reserved in advanced online
- Online Pass Reservation Guide
- Applies to vehicle and walk/bike in (pedestrian) passes.
- No entry without a day pass reservation.
- Passes also required Memorial & Labor Day Mondays, and 4th of July.
- AFTER Labor Day - hike in passes are no longer needed in advance. Pay upon arrival.
- November - February:
- Monday - Sunday
- ALL vehicle/hike/bike-in entry
- Pay in person by coin/credit at the park pay station kiosk.
- Campsite reservations ALREADY INCLUDE fees per day for 1 vehicle. Additional vehicle passes should be purchased at the pay station.
- Picnic site rentals or large groups should contact the Office of Special Events if they wish to coordinate and pay for guest park entry passes.
Park Entry Multi-Entry Passes
- Multi-entry pass per car (20 entries). Regular $75; Seniors age 62 and older $40
- Purchase online. If you have an account, please make sure to fully update all household member and birth dates prior to purchasing a pass.
- Create an account or update existing account (if needed). Select "browse passes". Select Emma Long Multi-Entry pass.
- Due to covid19, we are unable to take in person photos at this time for digital id's. AFTER purchase, email a clean head shot color image to email@example.com
- A digital id will be email to you for display on a smart device at the park.
Policies – All Park Entry Passes
- Vehicles - 1 pass/vehicle, valid ONLY, and up to 8 persons. Passes are non-refundable.
- The person purchasing the pass must be present.
- Passes are NOT transferable and may not be used for commercial/business use.
- A valid ID may be required upon arrival for seasonal online sales.
- No in/out privileges are allowed.
- Once at capacity – no additional queuing to get into the park will be allowed.
- Parking along the right of way outside the park is not allowed. Those without a day pass may not park along the right of way and enter the park.
- $5 per day/vehicle, Monday through Thursday.
- $10 per day/vehicle Friday through Sunday, and Holidays.
- $1 per day - walk in or bike in (Monday - Wednesday, coin /credit at pay station, online Thursday - Sunday)
- Multi-entry pass per car (20 entries) Regular $75; Seniors age 62 and older $40
- Disabled Veterans receive free park entry day use passes. See the Disabled Veterans section on this page BEFORE making an online day pass, camping or picnic reservation. Parks staff must provide online account changes to designate free park entry PRIOR to making any reservations.
Payment Methods During Pay at Park Days/Season
- Pay stations must be used Monday - Thursday for all bike/hike-in day use entry, by campers for entry when cashier is unavailable or after hours.
- Credit cards or coins are accepted at the automated pay stations.
- CASH is NOT accepted for park entry fees.
- Campsite and other facility fees are in addition to the park entrance fee.
- Fishing, Tournaments and Events
Acclaimed by the local fishing community, Lake Walter E. Long offers abundant varieties of fresh water stock. Walter E. Long Reservoir contains excellent populations of large mouth bass and hybrid striped bass. Large mouth bass in the 8-10 pound range are commonly caught, but the reservoir is primarily noted for producing good numbers of slot sized (14-21 inch) bass. Hybrid striped bass are stocked annually, and fish larger than 5 pounds are prevalent. Channel and flat-head catfish are present in low numbers. This reservoir has a good population of bluegill and redbreast sunfish. Many of these sunfish are more than 8 inches in length.
Fishing Tournaments and Events
By City Code and Park Rules, all organized events require permits to ensure proper planning and logistical coordination. This includes all tournaments that require admission or participation fees. This ensures successful experience for those proposing tournaments, while maintaining public park access. Applications are strongly encouraged to be submitted a minimum of 4-6 months in advance to ensure organizers have sufficient time to prepare permit requirements such a use fees, insurance and related submittals.
- Common Park Rules and Laws
- Pets must remain on leash and under the control of the owner at all times. Styrofoam is prohibited.
Common City of Austin Laws:
- Alcohol may be consumed directly at an approved (paid) campsite or picnic site reservation. Alcohol is not permitted in other park locations. Sales are NOT allowed. Glass containers are prohibited in the entire park system.
- Smoking is prohibited in all park areas. Violations are a Class C Misdemeanor.
- Amplified music/sounds/dj’s and/or bands all require a sound permit, and are ONLY issued for the picnic table(s) with a paid reservation. A person may not operate sound equipment in a watercraft audible or causing a vibration 100 feet from the equipment.
- 8-5-81 - WATERCRAFT AND OTHER MOTORIZED CRAFT ON LAKE AUSTIN. (A) A person may not use or possess a jet ski, wet bike, motorized surfboard, or similar device on Lake Austin: (1) from sunset on the Friday before Memorial Day until sunrise on the Tuesday after Memorial Day; (2) from sunset on the Friday before Labor Day until sunrise on the Tuesday after Labor Day; or (3) from sunset on July 3 until sunrise on July 5.
- Boating: Know Before You Go - Austin Police Department Boating Video
- Collection of fire wood at the park is prohibited.
- Alcohol consumption is allowed at rented campsites at this park, and at confirmed (paid) reservations of the picnic table event areas.
- Full Park Rules
In addition to the Texas Water Safety Act, the City of Austin has established several ordinances for Lake Austin, Lady Bird Lake and Lake Walter E. Long. The purposes of these ordinances are to protect the health and safety of the public using the area lakes.
It shall be unlawful for any person to swim, bathe, wade or go into the waters of Lake Walter E. Long, designated as no swimming areas. Swim at your own risk. No person on any watercraft on Lake Austin, Lake Walter E. Long, or Lady Bird Lake shall possess, use or operate, or assist in the use or other similar device capable of propelling or launching fluid filled balloons or other projectiles. No person within 150 yards of the shoreline of Lake Austin, Lake Walter E. Long, or Lady Bird Lake shall use or operate, or assist in the use or other similar device to propel or launch fluid filled balloons or other projectiles towards the waters of said lakes.