Crowd of people smiling at a convention

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I check the status of my application?

Login to the system to view the current status your application.

How do I apply for a civil service job - Austin Police Department, Fire Department or Austin Travis-County EMS?

Contact these departments directly for more information.Austin Police Department, Fire Department, Austin-Travis County EMS

How do I apply for a non civil-service job at the City of Austin?

You must complete an online application to be considered for non-civil service positions. We do not accept applications by mail, fax or e-mail.

How do I contact the hiring manager?

We do not provide information about the hiring manager to applicants. If the Hiring Manager wishes you to contact them, they will send you and email or post their information in the job posting. If the hiring manager wants to interview you by phone or in person, s/he will contact you directly.

How do I know if I qualify for a position?

The qualifications for each position are listed in "Minimum Qualifications" section of the advertisement. Some positions allow for a substitution of additional work experience instead of the educational requirement or vice versa. If a position allows for a substitution it will be stated in the advertisement. If it is not stated in the advertisement, the position does not allow for a substitution. You must meet all of the qualifications of the position for which you are applying.

When substitutions are allowed use the following guidelines:

  • Undergraduate hours: 30 semester hours of college = 1 year of work experience
  • Graduate hours: 24 semester hours of college = 1 year of work experience
  • Clock hours: 480 clock hours = 1 year of work experience
  • Full-time work experience vs. part-time work experience: Calculations for work experience are based on full-time experience. Full-time experience equals 40 hours or more of work per week. Part-time work experience is counted as half of the total length of experience (i.e. 2 years part-time work experience = 1 year full-time work experience).
  • Volunteer experience vs. paid work experience: Related volunteer work experience may be considered as qualifying work experience. Volunteer experience must be completely documented.
How will you ensure the confidentiality of my information that is sent over the web?

The City is committed to ensuring that confidential information is protected; therefore, we do not require applicants to provide social security numbers or driver’s license numbers.

If I applied for a specific job that closed last week and I see the same job being advertised this week, do I need to reapply?

A unique job requisition number is listed for each job posting. You may apply only once for a specific job requisition number.

Once I complete an application online and upload a resume, can I use these to apply for other positions?

Once you have created an application and uploaded a resume, you may use these same documents to apply for other positions. If you wish you may also customize your application or resume for different jobs for which you apply.

What about the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)?

The City of Austin does not discriminate on the basis of disability in the admission or access to, treatment or employment in its programs or activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request in the employment process. Visit the City of Austin ADA page for more information.

What are "pool" positions?

The City of Austin periodically advertises "pool" positions for departments needing either temporary or regular positions. Applications are kept on file at the hiring department and are reviewed as needed. The hiring departments contact applicants for the positions if vacancies become available.

What are the benefits of the eCareer system?


  • Can review the entire job posting, including the supplemental questions and requirement for attachments such as resume and/or cover letter
  • Will receive an e-mail notification immediately upon completion of application with their confirmation number
  • May view the status of positions for which they applied online like "application received/screening in progress or position filled"
  • May print their application from the system
What happens to my application after it is submitted?

When your application is complete, you will receive a confirmation number by email. Your application will be screened by the appropriate hiring manager and the Human Resources staff. The hiring manager will select applicants for interviews; and if you have been selected for an interview, the department will call you to schedule an interview. After interviews are conducted, a top candidate is identified. The hiring department conducts credential and required license validations, references, and background checks. The hiring department contacts the top candidate to make a job offer.

What if I apply for a position that requires a background check?

If a position requires a background check it will be noted on the job posting. The hiring department will provide you more information about getting the background check.

What if I apply for a position that requires a Commercial Driver's License?

Some positions with the City of Austin require a Commercial Driver's License. In order to be considered for the positions, applicants must comply with the Department of Transportation Federal Regulations and the City of Austin Drug Policy for Commercial Drivers. Some positions require that you submit a copy of your driving record when applying. If this is required, it will be specifically stated in the vacancy announcement. Top candidates for these positions will be required to take a pre-employment drug test.

What if I apply for a position that requires a typing test?

Some clerical level positions with the City of Austin require a typing test. If a position requires a typing test, it will be stated in the "Minimum Qualifications" section of the job posting. Typing tests can be taken at any Texas WorkSource Center. Please contact your nearest center for its typing test schedule.

What is a "grant" position?

A grant position is funded by an organization outside the City. The allocation of monies is subject to modification, reduction or cancellation by action of the City of Austin or the grantor.

Where can I search for job openings with the City of Austin?
Will I hear back from the City of Austin after I submit my application?

Yes, you will receive a confirmation e-mail immediately after submitting your application.

City of Austin Career Expo

A. When is the 2021 City of Austin Career Expo?

The 2021 Career Expo will be held on Wednesday, March 31, 2021. Hours are 10:00 am to 3:00 pm.

B. Where is the entrance to the Career Expo building?

The Career Expo will be at the Palmer Events Center. The entrance to the Palmer Events Center faces Barton Springs Road.

C. Can I get to the event other than by car?

Yes. Other transportation includes Bus, Taxi and Rideshare Services.


Capital Metro has provided the following bus stops near Palmer Events Center. Please call Capital Metro directly with any questions regarding their routes. The may be reached at (512) 474 1200.  You can also plan your trip using Capital Metro Trip Planner.

Bus stops near Palmer Events Center:

  • South 1st Street and Riverside

  • South 1st Street and Barton Springs Road

  • 300 Barton Springs Road

  • Congress and Riverside

  • Congress and Barton Springs Road

Taxi Cab

  • Austin Cab Company (512) 478-2222

  • Yellow Cab Austin      (512) 452-9999

D. Where can I park my car?

The Palmer Events Center is located at 900 Barton Springs Rd.  

Parking is available at the Palmer Parking Garage, adjacent to the facility with two entrances (from Barton Springs Road or Riverside Drive).

Mobility Impaired Parking:
Mobility Impaired Parking is available in the Palmer Events Center Garage on all levels located near elevators.

E. Where can I park my motorcycle, scooter, or bicycle?

There are dedicated parking spaces for motorcycle and scooter parking within the Palmer garage.  (Please do not park motorized vehicles on any Palmer sidewalks or in designated bicycle parking areas.)  Bicycle parking is available at bike racks located outside both the North and South entrances to the parking garage.

F. How long should I plan to stay at the event?

The Career Expo is scheduled to give you an opportunity to attend during the day as time permits within your schedule.  The event historically starts right at 10:00 a.m. and goes until 3:00 p.m.  We encourage you to take advantage of the information and resources that will be provided at the Employer’s Booths.

Compensation Division

What is a salary survey?

It is a gathered sample of data regarding fixed compensation for services that are paid to a person on a regular basis.

What is Service Incentive Pay (SIP)? Who is eligible to receive it?

Service Incentive Pay is a benefit for regular, non-Civil Service employees who have completed at least five (5) years of continuous service with the City of Austin.

The formula for employees with five (5) to seven (7) years of continuous service is:
Completed years of uninterrupted service (maximum of 7)  x  0.0025  x  hourly rate  x  hours worked per week (e.g., 40)  x  52 (weeks of the year)  =  amount OR $500, whichever is less.

The formula for employees with seven (7) to fifteen (15) years of continuous service is:
Completed years of uninterrupted service (maximum of 15)  x  0.0025  x  hourly rate  x  hours worked per week (e.g., 40)  x  52 (weeks of the year)  =  amount OR $1000, whichever is less.

The formula for employees with more than fifteen (15) years of continuous service is:
Completed years of uninterrupted service  x  0.0025  x  hourly rate  x  hours worked per week (e.g., 40)  x  52 (weeks of the year)  =  amount OR $1500, whichever is less.

What is the City's Living Wage?

For Regular Employees: $15.00 per hour, effective September 2018.

For Temporary Employees: $15.00 per hour, effective February 2019.

These are the result of a City Council decision to increase the Living Wage for the City of Austin. This wage applies to regular and temporary city employees. The federal minimum wage increased to $7.25 per hour, effective July 24, 2009. For more information, please refer to the Department of Labor's Wage and Overtime Pay web page.

Who is my departmental contact for Compensation information?

To find out who your Human Resources Compensation Consultant is for your specific department, please contact your department HR. You may also locate the information on CitySpace. You may also email HRD Compensation.

Earned Sick Time

1. When does the Earned Sick Leave Ordinance take effect?

The Ordinance was to take effect on Oct. 1, 2018; however, based upon the Aug. 17, 2018 Third Court of Appeals Order in No. 03-18-00445-CV; Texas Association of Business et al. and The State of Texas, Intervenor v. City of Austin, Texas et al., The City is temporarily postponing the effective date for the Earned Sick Time Ordinance, No. 20180215-049. The rule-making process, including the appeals process outlined in section 1-2-10 of the City Code is temporarily abated while the Aug. 17, 2018, Order remains in effect.

2. Who is affected by the Earned Sick Leave Ordinance?

Employees in the city of Austin are affected. "Employee" is defined as an individual who performs at least 80 hours of work in the City of Austin during a calendar year for an employer. Independent contractors and unpaid interns are not covered.

Employers that pay employees for work in the City of Austin are also affected. "Employer" is defined as "any person, company, corporation, firm, partnership, labor organization, non-profit organization or association" that pays an employee to perform work and exercises control over the employee. Federal, state, and local governments are not covered.

3. What does the Earned Sick Leave Ordinance require?

Employees earn one hour of sick time for every 30 hours worked.

Earned sick time is generally available for use as soon as it is accrued. An employer may restrict an employee from using sick time during the first 60 days of employment, but only if the employer establishes that the employee's term of employment is at least one year.  An employer may adopt reasonable verification procedures for use of earned sick time.

4. What qualifies as sick time?

Time off needed for an employee's own health condition, physical or mental illness, or injury, or that of the employee's family member, as defined by the Ordinance.

Time off needed to seek medical attention, seek relocation, obtain victim services, or participate in legal action related to domestic abuse, sexual assault, or stalking involving the employee or a family member.

5. How much sick time can employees accrue and use?

Any employer with 16 or more employees (not including family member employees) in the preceding 12 months must provide at least 64 hours per year.

Any employer with 1-15 employees (not including family member employees) in the preceding 12 months must provide at least 48 hours per year.

Earned sick time carries over to the following year, up to the annual limit of 48 or 64 hours, depending on employer size.

Employers do not have to allow employees to utilize earned sick time on more than eight calendar days in a given calendar year.

6. Which Earned Sick Leave records must employers maintain, provide or display?
  • Employers must provide a monthly statement to each employee showing the amount of the employee's available earned sick time.
  • Employers must also keep records to show the amount of sick time accrued and used by each employee.
  • Employers that provide employee handbooks must include a notice to employees about the contents of the ordinance.
  • Employers must display a conspicuous workplace sign, as provided by the City, about the ordinance in all appropriate languages.
7. Are there other Earned Sick Leave requirements?

Retaliation is prohibited. An employer may not transfer, demote, discharge, suspend, reduce hours, or directly threaten these actions against an employee for requesting or using earned sick time or for reporting a violation or participating in an administrative proceeding related to the ordinance. Civil penalties for retaliation may be assessed as early as October 1, 2018.

Employees who are rehired within six months following separation must have their prior sick time reinstated.

8. How will the Earned Sick Leave Ordinance be enforced?

The ordinance will be enforced by the City of Austin Equal Employment and Fair Housing Office (EE/FHO).

Civil penalties for substantiated violations may be assessed up to $500 per violation. The EE/FHO may offer an employer 10 business days to voluntarily comply with the ordinance before collecting a civil penalty.

Other than retaliation violations, civil penalties will not be assessed for violations of the Ordinance until after June 1, 2019.

Reasonable Accommodations Under the Fair Housing Act

A. What is the purpose of the City’s Reasonable Accommodation process?
  • To authorize City staff to grant reasonable accommodations as required by the Federal Fair Housing Act.
  • This process does not apply to policies or procedures implemented by a landlord or homeowners association; laws adopted by another jurisdiction; or Texas Administrative Code or Code of Federal Regulations.
B. What is a reasonable accommodation?
  • An accommodation is a change, exception, or adjustment to a City requirement (City Code provision, uncodified ordinance, rule, policy, or procedure).
  • Examples of accommodations include: increased impervious cover to extend the length of a driveway; extending the deadline to respond to comments during the permitting process.
  • An accommodation is reasonable when it provides an individual with a disability with an equal opportunity to use and enjoy a dwelling. Please note: If necessary, the director responsible for making the decision may add conditions to the requested accommodation.
C. When can someone request a reasonable accommodation?
  • When the need arises.
D. What happens if the individual with a disability no longer lives at the property?
  • A reasonable accommodation goes away.
E. Who can request a reasonable accommodation?
  • Eligible individual includes the individual with a disability, a representative of an individual with a disability, or a person that lives or will live with an individual with a disability.
  • The individual with a disability can designate someone to assist them with the request process.
  • The representative does not have to be a legal guardian.
F. Does each person with a disability living in the home need to request a reasonable accommodation?
  • If the accommodation would be the same, a separate accommodation is not required for each individual residing in a home.
G. What kind of documentation does the City need?
  • City staff may request additional documentation if necessary
    • to verify that you are disabled as that term is defined in the Federal Fair Housing Act; or
    • to understand the connection between your disability and your request for an accommodation.
  • Examples include: letters from doctors, social security disability determinations, letters from case or social workers, or documentation of enrollment in a disability-related program.
  • If City staff requests additional information or documentation, the 30 day determination period is paused until you or your representative provides the additional information or documentation.
H. Is there a cost to submit a request for a reasonable accommodation?
  • The City does not charge a fee to request a reasonable accommodation?


I How do I request a reasonable accommodation?
  • You may submit a request to:  City's ADA Coordinator David Ondich to or 512-974-3256
  • You may make a request for an accommodation verbally; however, City staff is required to put your request to writing.
  • If you are unable to identify the City requirement that relates to your request for an accommodation, City staff can assist. You can also provide a letter or notification from a City department that describes the City requirement.
  • City staff has 30 days to make a determination on your request. If you need an accelerated review for your request, you need to notify City staff.
  • If City staff requests additional information or documentation, the 30 day determination period is paused until you or your representative provides the additional information or documentation.
  • The decision on your request will be sent by certified mail, regular mail, and, if you request, by email.


J. What can I do if I do not agree with the decision?
  • You may appeal the decision.
  • You should submit an appeal
    • within 30 calendar days from the date the decision was mailed; and
    • to the individual that sent you the decision.
  • You may submit your appeal verbally; however, City staff is required to reduce your appeal to writing.
  • If you need an accelerated review for your appeal, you need to notify City staff.
  • If City staff requests additional information or documentation, the 30 day determination period is paused until you or your representative provides the additional information or documentation.
  • The decision on your appeal will be sent by certified mail, regular mail, and, if you request, by email.
K. Is there a cost to appeal a decision?

The City does not charge a fee to appeal a decision.