Using good trail etiquette helps everyone stay safe and enjoy our urban trails. It also keeps our trails in good shape for future use. Please keep these tips in mind before using the trail.
Trail Etiquette: Tips for Sharing The Trail
For All Visitors:
- Pay attention to your surroundings, and be aware of others who may be walking, rolling, or riding on the trail.
- Travel on the right and pass on the left, with no more than two people side by side. Let others know you are passing by calling out “passing on left”!
- Respect our natural environment by protecting wildlife and vegetation. Dispose of all trash properly, do not approach or feed wildlife, and stay on established trails.
For Pet Owners:
- Keep pets close to you and on leashes (leash must be 6 feet or shorter).
- Clean up after your pet and dispose of waste properly. Animal waste has a big impact on Austin’s water quality, so please remember to scoop the poop!
For People on Bicycles and Permitted Vehicles:
- Yield to pedestrians and brake for walkers and runners.
- Ride single file. Cyclists should follow each other on the trail.
- Signal when passing by saying so out loud or use your bell.
- Observe the speed limit.
Physical Distancing and the Trail
To help stop the spread of COVID-19, it’s more important than ever to be mindful of others when using the trail.
Before You Go:
- Stay home if you are experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19 including body aches, fever, sore throat, loss of taste or smell, cough, runny nose headache or diarrhea. Call your doctor or take the free COVID-19 self-assessment at AustinTexas.gov/COVID19
- Stay as close to home as possible. Instead of traveling to a trail, consider exploring your local neighborhood.
- Avoid using trails when they are crowded, during peak times, or if there is not enough room to spread out. Weekends and weekdays after 3:00 PM are usually when trails are busiest.
- Respect park capacity limits, as well as park and trail closures. Visit the Austin Parks and Recreation Department Facilities Closures Page for all park closures and to find out which city parks now require day use reservations. Keep in mind that parking near trails may be limited.
- Do not gather with others that you do not share a household with to visit trails.
On The Trail:
- Maintain at least six feet between yourself and people who do not live with you. Do not use the trail if it is too crowded to maintain this distance, or if the parking lot is full.
- Follow all trail etiquette tips. Be sure to stay on the right, pass on the left, and announce your presence to others.
- Wear a face covering or mask if six feet of distance cannot be consistently maintained. Keep in mind that face coverings do not replace the need for physical distancing. Learn more about face covering guidelines here.
- Wipe down any surfaces you touch (or avoid touching them).
- Bring an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with you and avoid touching your face.
- Cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze with a tissue, or sneeze into your upper sleeve, not your hands.
- Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds before and after using a trail.
Visit AustinTexas.gov/COVID19 for even more news, updates, and safety information.