Per Austin City Code 14-9, shared mobility providers must have a license to operate in Austin and must follow regulations. Austin Transportation filed the following final administrative rules for the regulation of shared small vehicle mobility systems with the City Clerk on Nov. 9, 2018.
- Director Rules for Deployment and Operation of Shared Small Vehicle Mobility Systems (PDF)
- Public comments and responses regarding Director Rules (PDF)
- Director Rules with tracked changes (PDF)
Apply to Operate Shared Mobility Services
If you are a new provider interested in operating in Austin, please arrange a meeting with the Shared Mobility Services Program first to discuss the process. Contact the program at email@example.com or 512-974-7857.
To apply for a dockless transportation system license, providers must complete all the application documents below. If approved, the license will be valid for six months. For initial licenses, a provider may have a maximum fleet size of up to 500 devices and can operate in the downtown area. Upon license renewal, a provider may request expanded fleet size and operating area upon license renewal.
- Fill out the License Application (PDF) and provide the required items listed.
- Agree to the License Terms and Conditions (PDF)
- Obtain a Performance (Surety) Bond (PDF) and provide the original with wet signatures as well as a scanned copy.
Currently, our office is closed to the public as part of efforts to prevent the spread of COVID-19, and office visits are by appointment only. You may schedule an appointment or email application documents by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. Some original copies will need to be sent to:
Mobility Services Division
1501 Toomey Rd.
Austin, TX 78704
Providers must also pass an inspection for the device model that will be used in Austin. The Shared Mobility Services program will reach out about inspection after reviewing application documents.
Program Background and Development
Memoranda to City Council provide additional information on program and policy development.
- Dockless Scooter Operations Memo – April 6, 2018, Memo (PDF)
- Dockless Mobility Systems Update – April 16, 2018, Memo (PDF)
- Update on Rulemaking Process for Dockless Mobility Program - July 31, 2018, Memo (PDF)
- Dockless Mobility Rules Update – Nov. 9, 2018, Memo (PDF)
- Shared Mobility Program Update – Sept. 18, 2019, Memo (PDF)
- Shared Mobility Program Update – Dec. 10, 2019, Memo (PDF)
- Litter and Micromobility Devices – March 3, 2020, Memo (PDF)
- Trash in Creeks: Program Inventory, Analysis and Outcomes – June 19, 2020 (PDF)