The Non-Resident Violators Compact (NRVC) was initiated in 1965 to allow states to assist each other in enforcing driving laws. When an out-of-state driver violates certain driving laws of a member state and fails to appear or pay the fine imposed for the violation, the state may send a non-compliance notice to the driver’s home state motor vehicle agency. The agency then notifies the driver about the problem and potential driver license suspension date.

If you should receive a non-compliance notice, you should immediately use the information on the notice to contact the appropriate out-of state authorities who can provide information on how you may resolve the problem.  You may want to check for online services that may be provided by the court with the outstanding case.  After handling the case, be sure to get proof to show your state agency that you have resolved the problem.  The court with the outstanding case will also send notice of resolution but it may take a few days.

Generally, if you submit the proof of payment or problem resolution on or before the suspension date printed on the notice of suspension, your driving record and driver’s license will not be affected.  If you submit the proof of payment or problem resolution after the suspension date, the suspension should be withdrawn but your record will probably reflect the fact that your driving privileges were suspended from the suspension date until the date that you submitted the proof.  If you do nothing, your driving privilege will be suspended and you will not be able to operate a motor vehicle or obtain or renew a your current state’s driver’s license until you present proof of payment or that the problem has been resolved.