This program ensures proper food safety at all mobile food establishments, such as food trailers, motor vehicles, pushcarts, and kiosks.
- Permit to Operate: This approval is required to complete the permitting process. Once approved, the owner will receive a physical permit and permission to operate a Mobile Food Unit.
- HAACP/Variance: Use this application to request a variance, allowing your establishment to deviate from the approved standards, and/or submit a Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) plan showing how you will mitigate risks to food safety.
Appointments are required for Mobile Vending physical permitting inspections. View the inspection procedures here. Appointments are for 30 minutes on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 7:45am and 11:00am.
Permit Fee Schedule
NOTE: All fee schedules dated and posted prior to October 1, 2019 are no longer in effect.
- How to Start a Mobile Food Business: Find pertinent information on starting a mobile food business.
- Food Manager/Food Handler Requirements Requirements: Learn about the training and certification requirements for food enterprise personnel.
- Central Preparation Facilities
- Operational Itinerary: Use this form to provide or update Environmental Health Services on your area(s) of operation.
- Restroom Agreement: Use this form to provide or update Environmental Health Services with information about the restroom facilities utilized at each location.
- Austin Fire Department Guides
- AFD's Fire Protection Guidelines: Find pertinent information on Austin Fire Department’s rules and regulations.
- Spanish Version of AFD's Fire Protection Guidelines.
- Propane System Inspection Report -- MANDATORY starting 1/1/2019
- Travis County's Fire/Safety Protection Guidelines: Travis County Fire Marshal inspection guidelines for all unrestricted mobile vendors obtaining a Travis County permit.
- Food Waste: Learn about food waste and how to do your part to reduce it.
- Food Donation Facts: Learn about donating food for human consumption.
- Food Donation Guide: View the guidelines pertaining to food donation.
- Cottage Food Guidance: View guidance for food preparation operated out of homes..
Frequently Asked Questions
- Mobile Food Vendor Permit Guide
- Cottage Food FAQ: View frequently asked questions concerning the cottage food industry.
- State Regulations: Texas Food Establishment Rules (TFER) - Field Inspection Manual 10.11.15
- State Regulations: Texas Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (Title 6, Chapter 431)
- Texas Administrative Code: Mobile Food Units (§228.221)
- Austin City Code: Food Code (Chapter 10-3)
- Austin City Code: Food Permit Application (Chapter 10-3-91)
Austin City Code: Smoking in Public Places (Chapter 10-6)
Austin City Code: Dogs Permitted in Outdoor Dining Areas (Ordinance No. 20151008-011)
County Regulations: Chapter 47, Travis County Food Order
Help us better serve our customers by providing feedback through our online survey.
To address a concern or request a second opinion regarding an inspection result or complaint, contact us at 512-978-0300 from 7:45 am to 4:45 pm Monday - Friday.