If you are performing any kind of above ground construction (such as building repairs) and need to close or barricade a portion of the right of way, this is the permit you will need. Read "TURP Considerations" for a list of specific types of work.
I have a question about ...
|Insurance, Bond, License||Fees||How-To Video - coming soon!|
|Traffic Control||Contacts||Checklist - coming soon!|
What do I need to know before applying for my TURP?
- Short-term TURPs are 1-30 days. They cannot be extended. Long-term TURPs are 31+ days. They can be extended.
- If the project is affiliated with a Site Plan (SP), Small Cell Permit, or is long-term in nature and lies within the Downtown Austin Project Coordination Zone (DAPCZ) then it may be necessary to obtain DAPCZ approval.
- For City Entities and Franchised Utilities, permits are typically issued for a maximum of 1 month inside the downtown area and 2 months outside of the downtown area.
- Bond and Insurance are required to obtain a TURP.
How do I apply for a TURP?
- Description: Who, What, When, Where, Why, How
- Example: ABC Contractors will replace an HVAC system on the roof of 505 Barton Springs Rd on 01/01/01. The crane company performing the work will be Cranes R Us. The crane will work on Haywood Ave closing the sidewalk, parking lane and two travel lanes. The mobile crane dimensions with outriggers fully extended are 40ft x 18ft.
- Active work area dimensions ONLY; do not include dimensions of your traffic control setup (e.g. cones, advance warning signage) (L x W, in feet).
- Number of work vehicles, including dimensions (L x W, in feet) and/or crews working at one time
- A map or image of exact work locations or route
- Meter numbers you’ll be occupying. Contact the meter shop with Active permit to reserve the spaces.
How do I extend and/or revise my TURP permit?
If you requested a long-term TURP it may be extended. Apply for extension and/or revision via the Extension and Revision Request form. Provide the following:
- Extension: provide a detailed explanation of why you need more time to complete your work and the date you’d like it extended through
- Revision: provide a detailed explanation of the changes you intend to make and the date you’d like the revision to take effect
- Phase change, adjust traffic control plan, change workdays/times