If you are performing any kind of excavation (removing or otherwise disturbing soil), this is the permit you will need. Read "EX Considerations" for a list of specific types of work.

I have a question about ...

Insurance, Bond, License Fees How-To Video - coming soon!
Traffic Control Contacts Checklist - coming soon!

What do I need to know before applying for my EX?

  • Every excavation permit requires final restoration.  Daily ROW usage fees are assessed from first cut to final restoration.  Once a DSD and/or PWD inspector approves all final restoration work, fees are no longer assessed.  Read more about excavation fees here.
  • Protected streets require a Restoration/Paving Plan.  Click here to view the "Protected Street List for Developers" (under the "Related Links" section).
  • Utility crossing may require a Horizontal View and Bore Profile sealed and signed by a Professional Engineer licensed by the State of Texas.
  • If the impacted area will be 25 feet or greater and lies within the Downtown Austin Project Coordination Zone (DAPCZ), then it will be necessary to obtain DAPCZ and AULCC approval.
  • If the impacted area will be 300 feet or greater and falls anywhere within the City, then it will be necessary to obtain AULCC approval.
  • For City Entities and Franchised Utilities, permits are typically issued for a maximum of 1 month inside the downtown area and 2 months outside of the downtown area. 
  • A ROW Contractor's License is required to perform EX work in the ROW. To submit or pull a permit on a ROW Contractor’s behalf, you must be listed on their Authorized Agent Form.


How do I apply for an EX?

Read “How to Apply for Permits on the ABC Website”.  Apply for permit at ABC.  Provide the following:

  • Description: Who, What, When, Where, Why, How
    • Example: ABC Contractors will replace a water main at 505 Barton Springs Rd on 01/01/01. The utility company performing the work will be Leaks R Us. This will require one 5x5 street cut, and one 5x5 cut behind the curb.  See attached image for ALL cut locations.  Leaks R Us will close one travel lane and have a partial sidewalk closure.  
  • Linear footage of sidewalk, width of driveway, and new curb & gutter at the property line
    • Curb & gutter as part of driveway cut is not applicable
  • Name of contractor performing work
  • Meter numbers you’ll be occupying.  Contact the meter shop with Active permit to reserve the spaces.
  • Approved plan sheet


How do I extend and/or revise my EX permit?

Apply for extension and/or revision via the Extension and Revision Request form.  Provide the following:

  • Extension: provide a detailed explanation of why you need more time to complete your work and the date you’d like it extended through
  • Revision: provide a detailed explanation of the changes you intend to make and the date you’d like the revision to take effect
    • Phase change, adjust traffic control plan, change workdays/times