If you are performing any kind of excavation (removing or otherwise disturbing soil), this is the permit you will need. Read "EX Considerations" for a list of specific types of work.
I have a question about ...
|Insurance, Bond, License||Fees||How-To Video - coming soon!|
|Traffic Control||Contacts||Checklist - coming soon!|
What do I need to know before applying for my EX?
- Every excavation permit requires final restoration. Daily ROW usage fees are assessed from first cut to final restoration. Once a DSD and/or PWD inspector approves all final restoration work, fees are no longer assessed. Read more about excavation fees here.
- Protected streets require a Restoration/Paving Plan. Click here to view the "Protected Street List for Developers" (under the "Related Links" section).
- Utility crossing may require a Horizontal View and Bore Profile sealed and signed by a Professional Engineer licensed by the State of Texas.
- If the impacted area will be 25 feet or greater and lies within the Downtown Austin Project Coordination Zone (DAPCZ), then it will be necessary to obtain DAPCZ and AULCC approval.
- If the impacted area will be 300 feet or greater and falls anywhere within the City, then it will be necessary to obtain AULCC approval.
- For City Entities and Franchised Utilities, permits are typically issued for a maximum of 1 month inside the downtown area and 2 months outside of the downtown area.
- A ROW Contractor's License is required to perform EX work in the ROW. To submit or pull a permit on a ROW Contractor’s behalf, you must be listed on their Authorized Agent Form.
How do I apply for an EX?
- Description: Who, What, When, Where, Why, How
- Example: ABC Contractors will replace a water main at 505 Barton Springs Rd on 01/01/01. The utility company performing the work will be Leaks R Us. This will require one 5x5 street cut, and one 5x5 cut behind the curb. See attached image for ALL cut locations. Leaks R Us will close one travel lane and have a partial sidewalk closure.
- Linear footage of sidewalk, width of driveway, and new curb & gutter at the property line
- Curb & gutter as part of driveway cut is not applicable
- Name of contractor performing work
- Meter numbers you’ll be occupying. Contact the meter shop with Active permit to reserve the spaces.
- Approved plan sheet
How do I extend and/or revise my EX permit?
Apply for extension and/or revision via the Extension and Revision Request form. Provide the following:
- Extension: provide a detailed explanation of why you need more time to complete your work and the date you’d like it extended through
- Revision: provide a detailed explanation of the changes you intend to make and the date you’d like the revision to take effect
- Phase change, adjust traffic control plan, change workdays/times