The Austin Transportation Department will soon be implementing planned improvements to Duval Street from San Jacinto Boulevard to 53rd Street. Based on feedback Austin Transportation received at its public open house on Nov. 17, 2017, the Walk + Bike Talks held in Spring 2017, and other citizen communications, the department was able to identify high-priority issues and create a plan intended to address these issues. Funding was identified by Austin City Council District 9 and through the 2016 Mobility Bond to complete this project.
Timeline (updated February 2019)
- Phase 1: The first phase of the project will include resurfacing of Duval Street from 45th Street to 53rd Street; construction of a shared used path along the northbound approach to 45th Street; modifications to parking restrictions from San Jacinto Boulevard to 53rd Street; and, restriping from 45th Street to 53rd Street to include buffered bicycle lanes from 45th Street to 50th Street and bicycle lanes from 50th Street to 53rd Street. Phase 1 is currently underway and expected to be complete by the end of March 2019.
- Phase 2: The second and final phase of this project will include the installation of painted buffers added to bicycle lanes from San Jacinto Boulevard to 45th Street; modifications to striping near signalized intersections from San Jacinto Boulevard to 45th Street; and, enhanced pedestrian crossing treatments at Harris Avenue, 41st Street and 43rd Street. Phase 2 is expected to begin in the spring of 2019 and complete by late spring.
Planned improvements include:
- Buffered bicycle lanes from San Jacinto Boulevard to 50th Street with parking prohibited on both sides of the street within these limits.
- Standard bicycle lanes from 50th Street to 53rd Street with on-street parking on the east side of the street from 50th Street to 51st Street and the west side of the street from 51st Street to 53rd Street. Parking will be allowed on the east side of the street from 51st Street to 53rd Street between 6:00 pm and 7:00 am (existing No Parking zones to remain).
- Enhanced pedestrian crossing treatments at Harris Avenue, 41st Street, and 43rd Street.
If you have any questions or comments about the project, please contact email@example.com.