Attention! Starting on July 1, 2020, all campaign finance reports must be filed using the City Clerk's new E-Filing System. If you submit a paper campaign finance report and data file to the Clerk's Office, you will receive the following memo and your submission will be rejected.
Per the State Election Code, Section 254.063 and 254.093, Semiannual Reporting Schedule for Candidate/Officeholder, contribution and expenditure reports are due with the Office of the City Clerk (OCC) on their respective due date.
New! E-Filing System
Starting on July 1, 2020, all campaign finance reports must be filed using the City Clerk's new electronic filing system and the Office of the City Clerk will no longer accept data files or paper copies of the campaign finance reports. All candidates and political action committees will be required to file all campaign finance reports, including the City ATX forms, using the COA E-Filing System. The new system will allow filers to file their reports from any location at their convenience and will eliminate the need for submitting a separate data file.
New! Campaign Finance Contact Form
In order to file electronically and obtain an E-Filing account and password, candidates and political action committees will need to submit the following two forms to the City Clerk's Office:
The CTA form will still be required to be submitted in hard-copy to the City Clerk's Office. the CTA form can be accessed by the following link. The Campaign Finance Contact Form can be filled out and submitted online by the following link.
New! E-Filing System Summer Trainings
The City Clerk's Office will host a series of trainings to introduce filers (candidates and political action committees) to the E-Filing System. Below is a list of dates and times of scheduled trainings. Attendees must register at least two business days in advance by calling the City Clerk's Office at 512-974-2210 or emailing the City Clerk's Office at: email@example.com. PACs are only required for the first hour of training.
- June 22 at 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. (Online Training)
- June 26 at 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. (Online Training)
- July 7 at 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. (Online Training)
- July 8 at 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. (Online Training)
Please note, due to the current COVID-19 Health Crisis and social distancing guidelines, all trainings will be provided online. Please register in advance to ensure you receive updated details relating to the scheduled trainings, including how to access the trainings.
Instruction Guides for the Campaign Finance Forms
The Office of the City Clerk created new guides and videos to assist filers when filing their campaign finance reports in the new COA E-Filing System.
- Introduction to New E-Filing System
- Campaign Finance Reporting for 2020 Election
- Filing ATX Forms for 2020 Election
- Candidate/Officeholder Campaign Finance Report Form C/OH - Instruction Guide
- (New!) Candidate/Officeholder C/OH Electronic Filing System Help Guide
Political Action Committee Guides
- (New!) General-Purpose Action Committee GPAC Electronic Filing System Help Guide
- (New!) Monthly Filing General-Purpose Action Committee MPAC Electronic Filing System Help Guide
- (New!) Specific-Purpose Action Committee SPAC Electronic Filing System Help Guide
ATX Forms Guides
- (Updated!) ATX 1 Direct Campaign Expenditures Instructions
- (Updated!) ATX 5 Bundling Report Instructions
- (Updated!) ATX 7 Pre-Election COH - Candidates Instructions
- (Updated!) ATX 7 Pre-Election Political Action Committees Instructions
- (Updated!) ATX 8 Report of Covered Transfers Supporting Direct Campaign Expenditures Instructions
ATX Form Guides - In Spanish
- (Nuevo!) Lista ATX 1 – Gastos Directos de Campaña-Guía Instructivo
- (Nuevo!) Lista ATX 5 – Informe de Agrupación de Contribuciones (Bundling)-Guía Instructivo
- (Nuevo!) Lista ATX 7 – Informe de Pre-Elección-Candidatos-Guía Instructivo
- (Nuevo!) Lista ATX 7 – Informe de Pre-Elección – Comités de Acción Política-Guía Instructivo
- (Nuevo!) Lista ATX 8 – Guia de Instrucciones de Transferencias Cubiertos
Filing a Correction?
If you need to file a correction to a campaign finance report filed prior to the July 15th 2020 Report, please contact the Office of the City Clerk at 512-974-2210 or firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions.
Campaign Finance Data Portal and Data Search
In an effort to promote transparency in campaign finance, the City of Austin maintains a database providing public access to all contributions and expenditures reported to the Office of the City Clerk by a candidate, officeholder, or political committee. The database is searchable and also available to view and download from the City of Austin's data portal. To view all active datasets and a complete field listing, please click here.
For more information on how to submit your campaign finance reporting requirements with the City of Austin, please view this instructional video.
For specific reporting requirements and filing deadlines, you can contact the Texas Ethics Commission at 512-463-5800 or the Office of the City Clerk at 512-974-2210.