This program ensures that proper food safety practices are followed at temporary events where food or beverages are served.
- Permit to Operate: This approval is required to complete the permitting process. Once approved, the owner will receive a physical permit and permission to operate a temporary food booth.
- HAACP/Variance: Use this application to request a variance, allowing your establishment to deviate from the approved standards, and/or submit a Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) plan showing how you will mitigate risks to food safety.
Permit Fee Schedule
NOTE: All fee schedules dated and posted prior to October 1, 2019 are no longer in effect.
- How to Setup a Temporary Food Booth: find complete information on setting up a temporary food event.
- Temporary Food Setup Guide: View a visual setup guide for temporary food booth layout instructions and fire department guidelines.
- Additional Booth Form: Use this form if you need to request more booth permits than will fit in the space provided in the Permit to Operate application.
- Food Waste: Learn about food waste and how to do your part to reduce it.
- Fire Protection Guidelines: Find pertinent information on Austin Fire Department’s rules and regulations for special events.
- Food Donation Facts: Learn about donating food for human consumption.
- Food Donation Guide: View the guidelines for food donation.
- Cottage Food Guidance: View guidance for food preparation operated out of homes..
Frequently Asked Questions
- General FAQ: View frequently asked questions about temporary food booths.
- Cottage Food FAQ: View frequently asked questions concerning cottage food industry.
- State Regulations: Texas Food Establishment Rules (TFER) - Field Inspection Manual 10.11.15
- State Regulations: Texas Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (Title 6, Chapter 431)
- Texas Administrative Code: Temporary Food Establishments (§228.222)
- Austin City Code: Food Code (Chapter 10-3)
- Austin City Code: Temporary Food Establishments (Chapter 10-3-96)
- County Regulations: Chapter 47, Travis County Food Order
Help us better serve our customers by providing feedback through our online survey.
To address a concern or request a second opinion regarding an inspection result or complaint, contact us at 512 978-0300 from 7:45 am to 4:45 pm Monday - Friday.