Delores Duffie Recreation Center and the Doris Miller Auditorium, is a 31,500 square feet facility with a gymnasium.
Modeled as a free, after-school, arts education program, TCTA maintains a strong mentoring component both before the classes with recreation center staff and during the classes, where teens work alongside professional artists. Helping teens connect with role models in the community, the program reinforces their positive choices, gives them new experiences, builds respect and trust, keeps them out of trouble during high-risk after-school hours and improves their skills in creative expression, communication, teamwork and arts appreciation.
Delores Duffie Recreation Center now sits in the middle of the old Bertram-Huppertz place, which Rudolph Bertram acquired in 1875. The older portion of the building was the residence of Mr. Bertram who was a local store-owner in 1921; 17 acres were sold to the City of Austin after Charles Huppertz, Mr. Bertram's son-in-law died. In 1929, an after-school playground and Center program began at Delores Duffie. The Parks and Recreation Department developed the land and park in the 1930's. Tennis courts, picnic area, bandstand, baseball field and open spaces were available to the public.