Many people have a hard time sticking to the instructions about how and when to take their medications.
Why is it so hard for people to stick to their treatment plans?
- Unpleasant side effects
- It is a reminder that they are living with HIV
- Forgetting to take their medications
- Unclear medical instructions
- Unstable housing
- Sleeping through doses
- Being too busy
- Irregular routines
- Substance Abuse
Tips for Adhering to Treatment:
- Talk to your doctor about your challenges and side effects
- Keep your pills in a pillbox and keep them in one place so you always know where to find them and can track when you’ve taken them
- Set an alarm on your clock or cell phone as a reminder
- Try to develop a routine
- Plan ahead if you are traveling or spending the night away from home
- Communicate with your pharmacy to make sure you re-order prescriptions regularly
- Avoid substance abuse. Substance abuse will make it very difficult for you to stay clear and keep on track.
- Learn helpful tips about adhering to treatment if you are dealing with substance abuse.