City of AustinFOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
The 2018 Formula One U.S. Grand Prix races into Austin, Texas the weekend of Oct. 19 - 21.
AUSTIN, Texas – The 2018 Formula One (F1) United States Grand Prix races into Austin, Texas the weekend of Oct. 19 – 21, bringing more passengers and flights to Austin-Bergstrom International Airport. To welcome and send off travelers and fans, the airport is positioning extra customer service representatives and conducting extra music performances.
During the F1 weekend, passengers are advised to be in the terminal two hours before departure time. Busiest days are expected on Sunday evening, Oct. 21 and Monday, Oct. 22, when airport traffic increases with post-race departing passengers.
In addition to new air service and cargo, six charter flights – arrivals from F1 Japanese Grand Prix and departures from Austin to the next race, F1 Grand Premio De Mexico in Mexico City – were added.
Need to book your flight to the F1 race after Austin? AeroMexico, code sharing with Delta Air Lines offers year-round daily nonstop service to Mexico City from Austin. To fly the AeroMexico nonstop with Premium Class seats from AUS to MEX, visit www.aeromexico.com or call 1-800-237-6639.
Special post-race live music performances start Sunday night, 5:30-7:30 p.m., Oct. 21, with a performance from Shelly King at Annie’s (Gate 27) and David Touchton at Tacodeli (Gate 24). Also scheduled to perform at the airport is Phil Hurley.
On Monday, Oct. 22, six shows are featured from 11 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. including Allysa Grace and Beth James at Annie’s, Chris Beall and Emily Shirley at Tacodeli and Rich Harney, on the Tie Dye Piano at IVINI (Gate 30). See exact times of performances at the airport: http://www.austintexas.gov/department/music-air-0 .
New Offerings at the Airport
Since the last F1 race in Austin, a new free cell phone lot, with a Texaco gas station and convenience store has opened at the airport along with new concessions inside the Barbara Jordan Terminal. They include:
- Renovated free cell phone lot, gas station and convenience store is located at 2901 Spirit of Texas Drive. Wait here for your call to pick up arriving family and friends.
- Einstein Bros Bagels / Caribou Coffee (near Gate 24)
- Tacodeli, authentically handcrafted tacos and salads (near Gate 24)
- Briggo Coffee Haus, app-based robotic coffee barista (near Gate 17)
- Departure Lounge, upscale travel respite (near Gate 17)
- Berry Austin, frozen yogurt and smoothies (near Gate 17)
- Hippies & Hops, locally crafted beers and wines by the glass (near Gate 17)
- Peached Tortilla, southern and Asian fusion (near Gate 17)
- Juiceland, fruit, vegetable, protein juices and smoothies (near Gate 16)
- Fig & Plum, tacos and drinks (near Gate 14)
- Barton Springs East Dry Goods, western apparel and accessories (near Gate 14)
- Ruta Maya Coffee East, organic coffee and pastries (near Gate 14).
Be prepared for security screening, dress and pack smart:
- Departing fans are encouraged to pack large or bulky souvenir and promotional materials in carry-on bags and place in a bin at the security checkpoint for faster screening.
- Monitor security wait times and speeds at http://aus.tsa.iinside.com.
- While packing, check luggage to ensure no prohibited items are in the bag or its pockets. For a comprehensive list of banned and permitted items in carry-on baggage, visit www.tsa.gov.
- TSA’s Pre-Check is available at Checkpoints 1 and 2. To enroll, visit www.tsa.gov.
- Remember 3-1-1 for liquids, gels, and aerosols in carry-on luggage. Three ounces per container, in a clear, one-quart bag, one per passenger, and place this in a bin for X-ray.
- Pour it out. Bottles containing liquids do not get recycled. Passengers can easily pour out the liquids from bottles at the “Pour It Out” receptacle at checkpoint entries, making the bottles ideal for recycling.
South Terminal and More Airport Travel Tips
- Know your terminal. Allegiant and ViaAir depart and arrive from the South Terminal. Visit www.austintexas.gov/page/terminals-austin-bergstrom-international-airport. South Terminal gates are listed on monitors as S1, S2 or S3.
- Allegiant and ViaAir passengers can park at the South Terminal, located at 10000 Logistics Lane. The South Terminal is not accessible from inside the Barbara Jordan Terminal.
- Highway construction near the airport, traffic and weather could add to commute time. Allow ample time to get to the airport.
- New guitar shaped bus shelter in lower level. Take CapMetro 20 bus to downtown for single ride fare of $1.25. Ground transportation options to/from the airport are available at http://www.austintexas.gov/department/ground-transportation.
- Check real-time flight status before arriving at the airport, www.abia.org or with your airline.
- The first passenger-screening checkpoint opens at 3:30 a.m. in the Barbara Jordan Terminal. All Checkpoints in Barbara Jordan Terminal lead to all gates 2-34.
- Call for real-time, 24/7 parking updates at 512-530-3300 before arriving.
- For airport information, 24 hours a day, call 512-530-ABIA (2242) or visit www.abia.org.
The airport of choice for Central Texas is Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS). New nonstop international flights include Frankfurt, Germany (FRA) on Lufthansa www.lufthansa.com; London Gatwick, United Kingdom (LGW) on Norwegian Air, www.norwegian.com/us; Guadalajara, Mexico (GDL) on Volaris, www.volaris.com; and Mexico City, Mexico (MEX) on AeroMexico, www.aeromexico.com. Find all nonstop routes with the free interactive flight guide on www.abia.org. Connect with us on Twitter, @AUStinAirport, Facebook, www.facebook.com/abia and on Instagram, @AUSairport.