The Austin City Council adopted a strategic direction on March 8, 2018, guiding the City of Austin for the next three to five years. Austin Strategic Direction 2023 outlines a shared vision and six priority Strategic Outcomes:
Together we strive to create a complete community where every Austinite has choices at every stage of life that allow us to experience and contribute to all of the following outcomes:
- Economic Opportunity and Affordability: Having economic opportunities and resources that enable us to thrive in our community.
- Mobility: Getting us where we want to go, when we want to get there, safely and cost-effectively.
- Safety: Being safe in our home, at work, and in our community.
- Health and Environment: Enjoying a sustainable environment and a healthy life, physically and mentally.
- Culture and Lifelong Learning: Being enriched by Austin's unique civic, cultural, ethnic, and learning opportunities.
- Government That Works for All: Believing that city government works effectively and collaboratively for all of us - that it is equitable, ethical and innovative.
|Austin Strategic Direction 2023|
|6 Priority Outcomes|
|Indicators and Metrics||Interactive|
|Guide to Effective Metrics|
While developing Austin Strategic Direction 2023, multi-departmental Outcome Teams diagnosed and documented critical issues facing Austin over the next five years. These 36 single-page briefs, called Challenge Statements, provide a basis for opportunities around Austin's 6 Strategic Outcomes. Backed by evidence, these Challenge Statements were shaped by City Council, Department Directors, data and research, and community voices from 100-plus planning initiatives.
Explore strategic planning terms and definitions in this "living" glossary.
|Strategic Plan Glossary||Interactive|