The City of Austin does not require filmmakers to get a “film permit” before filming in our city; however, specific permits may be required under specific circumstances.
Permits are necessary when
- filming on a street or sidewalk
- using pyrotechnic or flame effects
- filming at the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport
- filming in a City park
- a water meter is required for temporary water service
- street closures are required
- constructing or demolishing buildings (in some instances)
You can find information about how to apply for these specific permits, as well as contact information for the relevant departmental liaisons, listed on the City Department Contacts page.
If you have a question about applying for permits, or cannot find the necessary liaison, contact 311 or 512-974-2000.