The City of Austin does not require filmmakers to get a “film permit” before filming in our city; however, specific permits may be required under specific circumstances.
Permits are necessary when
- filming on a street or sidewalk
- using pyrotechnic or flame effects
- filming at the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport
- filming in a City park
- a water meter is required for temporary water service
- street closures are required
- constructing or demolishing buildings (in some instances)
If you have questions about permitting, contact 311 or 512-974-2000.