Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a respiratory illness that is spreading from person to person. The virus spreads mainly between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet) through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person speaks, sings, coughs or sneezes. The COVID-19 virus is not that same as the coronaviruses that commonly circulate among humans and cause mild illness, like the common cold.
Learn more about the symptoms of COVID-19, as well as testing options, on our Symptoms & Care page.
You can protect yourself and our community against the spread of COVID-19 by:
- Avoiding close contact with people who are sick.
- Washing your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. You can also use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water an unavailable.
- Not touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Practicing social distancing and avoiding gatherings and non-essential trips.
- Wearing a face covering when in public
Orders & Rules
A number of control orders and emergency rules have also been introduced in Austin-Travis County mandating specified actions aimed at slowing the spread and reducing the impact of COVID-19. Learn more and view the control orders and emergency rules on our Orders & Rules page.