Located at the convergence of Guadalupe St, West 5th St, San Antonio St and West 4th St, adjacent to the new Federal Courthouse, Republic Square is one of three remaining Downtown Historical Squares. The City of Austin’s Parks and Recreation Department (PARD), the Downtown Austin Alliance, the Austin Parks Foundation and a team of consultants led by Design Workshop are planning for the future of this important public space.
The project phases include the following:
- Master Plan Update - Engage stakeholders and the public to assess and update the existing Republic Square Vision Plan
- Phase II Design and Construction - Upon completion of the Master Plan, implement constructionf or Phase II improvements
- Public-Private Partnership Report - Create a strategy for sustainable public-private partnerships for on-going operations and maintenance
The public engagement portion of the master plan process is completed. The first community meeting was held on May 12, 2012 at the Austin City Hall Council Chambers. The purpose of this community meeting was to introduce the design team to the community at large, present existing conditions and discuss opportunities and constraints of the project.
A second community meeting was held on July 19, 2012 at the Ballet Austin facility. The purpose of this meeting was to provide feedback and review information gathered from the first community meeting plus the online poll, which generated three (3) distinct park concept plans. An online poll was made available for additional public input for approximately 30 days via Austin Notes.
Based on the input received through the stakeholder and community meetings, the team of consultants developed a preferred concept plan which addresses the:
- Federal Court House Plaza and the relationship with the Republic Square
- preservation of the Auction Oaks
- Guadalupe St frontage in relationship to the proposed Cap Metro rapid transit stop\transfer station
- potential 4th Street frontage as a terminus or stop for the proposed light rail system
- treatment and design of the 5th Street frontage to include an area suitable for the Sustainable Food Center (SFC) farmers market
- design of a dominant lawn feature delineated by a circular circulation pattern formed by a proposed decorative seat wall
- introduction of a kiosk facility as a vending resource and amenity to the park
- location of a restroom facility that includes space for park maintenance and operations needs.
The final Republic Square Master Plan may be viewed at the following links: