The Austin City Council enacted Resolution 20120524-089 in 2012, directing the City Manager to create a special events team and identify any budgetary, ordinance, or staffing changes that would be necessary to implement the creation of a streamlined special event permitting process.
In response to the direction from City Council, Austin Center for Events (ACE), an interdepartmental team was established to improve the process for temporary special event permitting.
In 2013 ACE staff presented the draft Special Events Ordinance to the following Boards and Commissions: Urban Transportation Commission, Zero Waste Advisory Commission, Downtown Commission, Parks and Recreation Board, Public Safety Commission and Austin Music Commission. In addition, staff briefings were provided to the following boards:
• Economic Opportunity Committee – August 8, 2016
• Austin Music Commission – October 6, 2014
• Downtown Commission – September 17, 2014
• Public Safety Commission – September 12, 2014
• Parks and Recreation Board – August 26, 2014
• Downtown Commission – August 20, 2014
• Zero Waste Advisory Commission – August 13, 2014
ACE staff is anticipating the Special Events Ordinance to go before City Council at its February 2, 2017 meeting.
You can learn more about the Special Events Ordinance here.