Austin Transportation’s 2018 annual report is now available at AustinMobilityReport.com. The report highlights the department’s operations and achievements in 2018 as it continues its efforts to provide a safe, efficient, innovative, cost-effective and sustainable transportation system for the Austin community.
In 2018, Austin Transportation made great strides to prepare for an innovative and sustainable transportation future. The department began testing and incorporating new mobility technologies, achieved milestones in community input and expanded equitable mobility opportunities through various initiatives. With direction from its new Smart Mobility Program, Austin Transportation joined national collaboratives to establish new transportation technology standards and has been pilot testing emerging technologies for potential mobility solutions.
Austin Transportation came to the forefront of national dialogue with new small shared mobility services, which include dockless bike-share and scooter-share, on how to manage public pathways, record and share open data, and build and plan programs in service to more equitable, affordable and sustainable mobility solutions. The department also rolled out open data tools in line with the City’s mission to provide services to the community in a transparent and accountable way. These achievements align with target outcomes outlined in Austin Strategic Direction 2023, which Austin City Council adopted in early 2018.
Notable department numbers from the year include:
- five completed intersection safety projects, with total funding of $4.78 million.
- 27 new traffic signals and pedestrian hybrid beacons that were installed and activated.
- 341 retimed traffic signals.
- 4,739 signal timing adjustments.
- 2,085 new road signs.
- 17,880 road signs that were repaired or replaced.
- 25.8 miles of new and improved bicycle facilities.
- 233 special events held that were permitted by the department.
- over 7,000 off-street parking spaces available at 29 participating garages in the Affordable Parking Program, which offers low-cost overnight parking for hospitality and service industry workers.
You can also download a printer-friendly version of the annual report and find previous annual reports on Austin Transportation’s website.