The City of Austin’s Economic Development Department is partnering with Austin Public Health to expand the Healthy Corner Stores Program. This program helps store owners grow their business by increasing sales of healthy food items and is free to join.
Healthy corner stores are convenience stores, including gas stations, that offer a variety of healthier food items, including fresh produce. Healthy foods include both fresh and canned fruits and vegetables, prepared items such as fruit cups, and shelf-stable goods that follow specific nutrition standards.
- Increase your store’s profits: Stand out from the competition by selling more and varied items.
- Enhance your customer base: Sell more to existing customers and attract new customers looking for healthy foods.
- Get free equipment: The City will assist you in purchasing a refrigerator display case for fresh produce and/or a Point-of-Sale system to help you keep track of your sales and inventory.
- Build your network: Get connected to other corner store owners and City resources, including funding and technical assistance.
- Be a part of the solution to make our community healthier.
- Order from City-approved healthy food vendors on a weekly basis, you must meet the minimum order requirements. The City of Austin will subsidize the cost of the healthy food for stores in the program for the first year.
- Receive free or subsidized refrigerator display cases and Point-of-Sale (POS) systems. If you stay with the program for one year or longer, you can keep the equipment.
- Stock healthy items and fresh produce in a way that appeals to customers. City staff will work with you to figure out what makes sense for your store, including layout, signage, and best practices for keeping food fresh.
- Market the new healthy items at your store and in the neighborhood. City staff will assist you and provide materials such as signs and flyers.
- Convenience stores must be located within a City of Austin Council District and one of the following zip codes to participate: 78617, 78653, 78660, 78702, 78719, 78721, 78722, 78723, 78724, 78725, 78741, 78744, 78745, 78747, 78748, 78752, 78753, 78754, 78754. See map below to see if your store is within an eligible zip code.
- Other factors, such as your store’s distance from a supermarket, may affect your eligibility.
- Restaurants and similar businesses may be eligible to join if they are currently selling or are interested in selling fresh produce and healthy items directly to customers. Contact us for more information.
Map of eligible zip codes: