The Givens District Park Vision Plan was approved in January 2019. Using 2018 bond funds, the first phase of implementing the park plan has begun. A new playground has been installed, the tennis and basketball courts have been resurfaced, and the north ballfield lighting is completed. Find more information below.
Givens Park Playground Construction Update:
Givens Park Playground, located near the recreation center, is now open. Improvements include a new playground, more seating, music games, and a sidewalk connecting to E. 12th Street.
Tannehill Creek traverses through the entire park and provides a source of water for many of the large shade trees located along its banks. The 40 acre district park was acquired in 1957 and named after Dr. Everett H. Givens in 1962. The park has a recreation center, swimming pool, two large covered pavilions, restrooms, playscape, basketball courts, tennis courts, picnic tables, and a two ballfields.
Park Implementation Community Engagement
Community input was instrumental in the planning process and has guided the first phase of vision plan implementation reflects the desires of the community.
Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 6 to 8 p.m.
Givens Recreation Center, 3811 E. 12th St., Austin, TX 78721
- Review Boards from the Meeting (PDF)
- Review Interpretive Signage Board (PDF)
- Notes shared and recorded at the meeting (PDF)
- Meeting Sign-in Sheet (redacted PDF)
- Feedback summary from meeting and online through Nov. 22, 2019 (PDF)
Project Goals and Timeline
Implementation of Phase I of the Givens District Park Vision Plan. Community engagement began on November 13, 2019. Phase I addresses the following aspects of the vision plan:
- Replacing the playscape north of the recreation center.
- Resurfacing and repairing the multi-use sports courts in the southeast corner of the park.
- Building a new, larger and accessible restroom adjacent to the multi-purpose field.
- Replacing the existing ballfield south of the recreation center with a multipurpose field.
- Paving the area adjacent to the restroom/stage for concessionaires and food trucks.
- Early October 2019: Givens Working Group met to review Community Engagement Plan and Phase 1 implementation
- November 2019: Community Meeting and Open Survey; walk the park
- December 2019: Givens Working Group meeting to review input; share input back with community
- Winter/Spring 2020: Sport Courts Resurfacing
- Early summer 2020: Construction of playscape
- Spring/Summer 2021: Design and Permitting for Phase I Implementation (Restrooms and Multi-use Field)
- Spring/Summer 2022: Construction of Phase I Implementation (Restrooms and Multi-use Field)
- Fall/Winter 2022: Phase I Implementation complete
Vision Plan Process
The park vision plan was approved in January 2019.
- Givens Park Vision Plan Image
- Community Engagement for Vision Plan
The Parks and Recreation Department hosted four community meetings and corresponding surveys in 2018 to create opportunities for community members to share their visions for the park.
- Community Meeting #1: July 14, 2018
- Community Meeting #2: July 28, 2018
- Community Meeting #3: October 9, 2018
- Community Meeting #4: December 4, 2018
Review the summary of engagement here (PDF).
For more information, email D'Anne Williams, project manager.