Cars and carriages shared Austin roads a century ago
One hundred years ago this week, on May 23, 1912, the Austin City Council was working with partner Texas Bitulithic Company to pave alleys and improve major downtown roads such as Congress Avenue, Colorado Street, Second Street and Brazos Street. It was a time of drastic change in the city. Automobiles and horse-drawn carriages shared the roads, many of which were merely mud, gravel or brick. The major improvements to the downtown streets are noted in the May 24, 1912 edition of the Austin Daily Statesman:
- “With the exception of West Eighth this will practically complete the paving of the downtown business streets,” the Statesman article reads.
|The paving of Congress Avenue in the early 20th Century. (To order a copy, visit the Austin History Center and ask for C00606)|
|Cars and carriages shared Austin's roads in the early 1900s.(To order a copy, visit the Austin History Center and ask for PICA 03695)|